Re: Documentation style

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Documentation style
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:52:42 -0400

    I've always disliked this kludge.  We should probably strip make-docfile.c
    of all the elisp handling and instead we should fill the DOC while dumping
    Emacs (i.e. functions like `defun' and `autoload' should add the docstring
    to the DOC file), so the recognition of docstrings and their replacement by
    a reference to the DOC file are done at the same place and are thus known to
    be correct.

This would not make things any better for users.  I would rather see
progress on things that will provide a benefit to the users.

Meanwhile, for right now what we should focus on readying a new
release.