Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:53:01 -0400

    Yes -- and in fact it _already_ does this in Emacs.

    The problem is that setting the Emacs language-environment (with
    `set-language-environment') _overrides_ the initial settings made based on
    LANG.  That's wrong in this case, I think.

So you're suggesting that set-language-environment simply not change
these settings?  That might be ok; however, in other cases
we might want different behavior.

What precisely are these settings?

    BTW, another possibly related issue is that if I start `emacs -q' with
    LANG=ja_JP, then the language-environment is automatically set to
    "Japanese" -- great!  But if I start `emacs -q' with LANG=ja_JP.utf8, then
    the language environment is set to "utf-8", and that doesn't make much
    sense to me -- indeed the whole concept of a "utf-8 language environment"
    seems kind of weird.  In this case I think it should instead (1) set the
    language-environt to "Japanese", and then (2) set the various I/O encodings
    to be `utf-8'.

Handa, what do you think?