Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:47:37 +0200

>> One way I see it happen is for the Gnus maintainers to move those file in
>> their repository to a new directory (call it "util") and treat them as
>> "files which should be provided by Emacs but which we distribute because
>> many Emacsen don't have them (yet)".
>
> I think that'd make sense.  Perhaps even do a tree mimicking the
> Emacs layout?  That is, .../lisp/gnus/, .../lisp/mail, .../lisp/net/,
> etc.

Maybe even try to use Autoconf/Automake and its Emacs Lisp rules,
instead of hand written makefiles?  I recall trying it for Gnus when
all lisp files is in one directory, but I have no idea whether it
works when there are files in multiple directories.  I'd imagine the
autoload cookies might be a problem.  Perhaps not worthwhile.