Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:26:59 +0200

People seem to fear using some files in gnus/ because they think the
files might end up loading all of Gnus.  I believe moving some of the
self contained files in Gnus elsewhere would be good.  This would make
it clear that they aren't an intrinsic part of Gnus.  Not only would
it make it clear for elisp programmers, it would make it clear for us
working on Gnus.  I.e., to make sure we don't use Gnus functions in
some of the files.  I just modified pop3.el to revert one such
example.  It would be bad if many standalone files ended up loading
Gnus out of pure laziness.

Do you agree with the above?  I'd be happy to explain and discuss it
further, if someone disagree.

I propose to move the following files:

lisp/gnus/:
binhex.el
dig.el
hex-util.el
rfc2104.el
pgg-def.el
pgg.el
pgg-gpg.el
pgg-parse.el
pgg-pgp5.el
pgg-pgp.el
pop3.el
sha1.el
sieve.el
sieve-manage.el
sieve-mode.el
starttls.el

into lisp/mail (for pgg*.el, maybe binhex.el) or lisp/net/ (everything
else).

Btw, should I do cvs remove + add, or should someone with repository
access do it?  Moving in the repository is typically bad (it break
historic CVS branches), but I don't know what the tradition here is.

FYI, the small files should be pretty self explanatory, but pgg*.el is
an elisp library for talking to PGP implementations (such as GnuPG).
sieve*.el is a elisp package for talking too ManageSieve servers.

I think it would be particularly bad if people avoided using pgg*.el
or sieve*.el because they think they are strongly connected with Gnus;
they are not.

None of these files use any Gnus functions.

I also propose to add password.el, encrypt.el from Gnus CVS, and
update the netrc.el file to use encrypt.el.  This may be more
controversial, so I'll post encrypt.el in a separate message, to ask
for guidance.

If there is no (major) negative response, I can do the above when I
get back from vacation in a week.  (Of course, someone else could do
it meanwhile...)

Thanks.