Re: doc string of `local-variable-if-set-p'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: doc string of `local-variable-if-set-p'
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:57:10 +0200

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

>> (1) Non-nil if VARIABLE will be local in buffer BUFFER if it is set there.
>
> It may not be the clearest way to say it, but it sounds correct to me.
> If I add parentheses to help parsing:
>
>   Non-nil if (VARIABLE will be local in buffer BUFFER if it is set there)
>
> I.e. in the case that VARIABLE is set in BUFFER, the VARIABLE will be local
> iff the function returns non-nil.

Oh, come on, that is mathematician speak, working with parens.  Just
say:

Non-nil if after setting the VARIABLE in buffer BUFFER it will be
local, either because it is already so, or because it is automatic
buffer-local (see `make-variable-buffer-local').

However, can anybody tell me what the point of the BUFFER argument is?
It makes it hard to find out whether a variable that might already
have a local binding is automatic buffer-local.