Re: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils

From: Alexander Pohoyda
Subject: Re: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils
Date: 11 Oct 2004 01:50:22 +0200

>     > Are you saying you have written files with the same names as certain
>     > files in Gnus?
>
>     Exactly!  Once again, I propose that we move general-purpose MIME
>     functions out of lisp/gnus into lisp/mail/mime directory.
>
> I am not sure what you mean.  Do you mean moving the existing gnus
> code, as now found in lisp/gnus/rfc*.el?  Or have you written
> completely different code to do the same jobs?

I don't mean moving existing Gnus code (as it is now), because I don't
like that rfc*.el files depend on mm-*.el files.  Once we break this
dependency, we could move only rfc*.el files (what's what I target
right now).

Meanwhile, I have re-implemented about 20 rfc* functions because I
didn't like their dependency on mm-* code.  My implementation is also
cleaner in a way that it uses even more basic general-purpose mail
functions which I will try to put into mail-utils.el file.

So, in fact, I already have a completely mm-* independent
implementation, but it may be missing some function used by Gnus, so
I don't ask you to take my files either.

What I'm going to do now is to remove mm-* dependency from
lisp/gnus/rfc*.el files and submit a patch here.  If it is accepted
and commited, we move lisp/gnus/rfc*.el files into lisp/mail/
directory and I can continue with Rmail patches.

--
Alexander Pohoyda <address@hidden>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44