Re: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [rmail-mbox-branch]: mail-utils
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:06:00 -0400

    For example, the original implementation of `mail-[un]quote-printable'
    functions is too limited.  I suppose that this is desired:

    (defun mail-quote-printable (string &optional wrapper)
     "Encode the STRING in such a way that the resulting octets are unlikely to
    be modified by mail transport.  Defined by RFC 2045.
    If the optional argument WRAPPER is non-nil, decorate the resulting string
    with =?charset?Q?....?=, as defined by RFC 2047."
     (if wrapper
         (rfc2047-encode-string string)
       (rfc2045-quoted-printable-encode-string string)))

I do not know whether that is desired; I don't understand it.

It looks like you are talking about functions in Gnus; I don't know
anything about those functions, though.  Gnus is more recent than
mail-utils.el, and the Gnus developers do not cooperate closely with
us, so it does not surprise me that they contain duplications and
perhaps useful facilities that we mostly do not know about.

    Now, there are many other functions and constants which are defined by
    some RFCs and I have implemented them in such a way:

    mime/
      rfc2045.el (13 functions)
      rfc2047.el (11 functions)
      rfc2231.el (7 functions)
      (some other less important files)

I do not understand what "such a way" means.  What way do you mean?
All I see here is a list of names (file names?); I don't know what
the names MEAN, so I don't understand.

Are you saying you have written files with the same names as certain
files in Gnus?

If that's what you mean, the simplest way to avoid conflict
is to rename these functions, then add them to mail-utils.el
or put them together in some other new file.  Why not?