Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars p

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: not too happy with Emacs 21 vertical-line dragging when scrollbars present
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:34:49 +0200

>     It would be much better if we could find a way to just drag the
>     scroll-bar.
>
> Dragging in the scroll bar has another meaning.
>
>     One way would be to always make a tiny area between windows that you
>     could drag.  But unless we do it by reducing the qscroll bar width,
>     that would take away space that is now used for text display.
>
> We DID have a tiny area, at the bottom of the scroll bar.  Drew is
> complaining that we got rid of it.  It is much easier to use a square
> than a very thin rectangle.  It is hard to put the mouse on the
> latter.

That's not correct.  It is easy to put the cursor on that tiny line!

The code uses a relaxed check so that if the mouse is within ONE
COLUMN on either side of the line, the cursor changes to the <-> drag
cursor.  So there is already a virtual block area there which is TWO
COLUMS wide there.

>     It is much harder (impossible) to make a drag-able area to the right
>     of the modeline, as there is no fixed right edge of the modeline at the
>     lisp level [the modeline is simply truncated by redisplay].
>
> It would be hard to do it at the right using mode-line-format.
> It would be easy to add a new feature that would override part
> of the mode line at the right when appropriate.

Personally, I see no reason to make that explicitly stand out more
than it already does...