Re: dired-view-command-alist

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dired-view-command-alist
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:10:42 -0400

    An a different tack, one of my proposals was to bind * to inserting a
    text propertied string showing <marked files> or so.

The problem is for ?.  We could make ? appear as <one file>,
and * as <all files> for consistency.   This does not depend on
faces, so it will always work.

What do people think of that?

                                                          Perhaps it would
    be more straightforward to just insert the file names themselves
    (shell-quoted, of course).

That is too long, and anyway it would not work for `?'.