Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:58:41 -0400

>> We can output the message even if the build succeeds.
> You lost me, what message?  The one in configure or the hypotetical new one
> after temacs dumps core?

I expect the message would be the same in either case (more or less), so
I just said "the" message.

>> I.e. just transform the current error into a warning.
> I've done that.

Thanks.

> You maybe never built Emacs on a machine where the build takes 20 minutes :-)

Believe me, I've done my share of building Emacs on slow machines.

> If exec-shield and/or its effects, like randomized heap start, becomes more
> widespread this will be a very common case.  I would not be surprised if
> something like it will be incorporated in to the Linux kernel proper, and
> not just for Fedora as it is now (and some unofficial Debian patches seems
> to exist).

If that's the case, then an error message (no matter how good) is *not* the
answer.  We simply do not want to go down that road: Emacs should "just
work" at least in normal (i.e. common) circumstances.

        Stefan