Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)

From: Denis Barbier
Subject: Re: Xfree86 and the Meta key (+patch)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:53:35 +0200

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:56:09AM +0200, Jan D. wrote:
> >As shortcuts cannot work if a modifier is bound to different symbols,
> >another solution is to let emacs handle this case in a smarter way.
> >This is the purpose of the patch sent by Jerome; when a modifier is
> >bound to different symbols, only one is taken into account.  There is
> >no
> >change for working configurations, and many configurations which are
> >currently broken will work out of the box without having to run
> >xmodmap.
>
> I am testing the patch and something like it will be checked in.  But
> it would be nicer if Emacs could determine that Hyper and Super
> is bound to fake keys and just ignore them.  I'm currently using XKB
> to get geometry info to determine that, but I wonder if there is a
> better way.  The reason I want this is that with the proposed patch
> the logo key becomes Super on my system, which is not really helpful
> either.

Can you please tell me what your configuration is?  I am quite surprised
that it does not work as expected, doesn't xev also report that your
logo key is Super_{L,R}?

> If we could determine that Super is a fake key it would become Meta
> which is so much better.

Fake keys have no symbol at level 0, so before the
  for (code_col = 0; code_col < syms_per_code; code_col++)
loop, you can test whether
  syms[((code - min_code) * syms_per_code)] == NoSymbol
and skip this key in this case.
I did not want to go this way because it is XFree86-centric, the other
solution is more generic.

Denis