Re: Should the mode line extend under the scroll bar?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Should the mode line extend under the scroll bar?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:32:39 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> The points I want to make are just these:
>
>  - The drag handles are not obvious (they appear only on mouseover) and are
> difficult to grab (at least on Windows).
>
>  - Grabbing a drag handle selects and activates the mode line (to its
> left) - an irrelevant side effect.
>
> Emacs 20:                 Emacs 21:
>
>        M       M                 M       M
>        M       M                 M       M
>        M       M                 M       M
> XXXXXXX.ZZZZZZZ.          XXXXXXXXZZZZZZZZ
>
> The squares where the `.' are were visible drag handles for the windows.
>
> And the `.' for a one-window-p window could do something else useful like
> resize the frame to fit the window buffer.

IMO the emacs 21 display behaviour is better as it indicates which
window the scroll bar belongs to.  This is more important with 21.4
where each window can control the position of its own scrollbar
(left/right).

However, I do think we can make the grab area some pixels wider
without too much trouble.  However, now since the modeline does extend
under the scrollbar, there may be mouse-sensitive elements on the
modeline at those positions, so we should be careful not to disrupt
the access to those elements (especially when the scrollbar is on the
left side).