Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:02:25 -0400

>> Anyway, what's wrong with the current scheme that we need to abandon it

> Because the current scheme is confusing to users.  I've certainly observed
> doubt as to whether a new Emacs release "means anything" (i.e. lots of new
> features, or just a few random fixes) or not.

If you want that kind of clarity, then either say:
- use MAJOR.MINOR where MINOR is only incremented for bugfix releases and
  MAJOR is incremented for non-bugfix releases.  I.e. the next release would
  then be 22.1 and unicode would be 23.1.
- Use MAJOR.MIDDLE.MINOR where the difference is that some non-bugfix
  releases are deemed non-major (e.g. the next one would then be 21.4.1 and
  unicode would be 22.1.1).

        Stefan