Re: Comments on display.texi

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Comments on display.texi
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:53:42 -0400

    > The reason is, it is more Lisp-like to use symbols than numbers.
    > It is easier to debug a program when you see a symbol whose name
    > is meaningful than when you see a number.

    But when you start debugging this, you don't see the symbol name --
    you will see the number.  The display property contains the number,
    not the symbol.

Why can't the display property contain the symbol instead?
That's easy to implement.

    .. Similar to how display image properties work.

The image specifier is a list that describes the desired result.  That
is quite Lispy.  What's not good is to use an "opaque integer".

    But it is EXACTLY the same interface that is used for images.
    It is just the value that is different.

The value is the issue here.  If the value were a list or vector that
described the bitmap, it would be quite Lispy and I'd say it was good.