Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:34:01 +0200

>> From: Oliver Scholz <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:04:53 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> 2) the data structure used to represent that abstract document
>>    internally
>
> Note that in Emacs, that data structure is the buffer text (with
> associated text properties and any Lisp code that those properties
> evaluate).  This is very important thing to understand: there are no
> data structures built by Emacs from the text it reads except what it
> puts into the buffer.

Fine. In that case Emacs can not become a word processor. Or maybe it
already is: the first "word processor" which supports only the file
formats text/plain and text/enriched.

That means I can stop thinking about implementing word processor
functionality for Emacs right now and go back to use it just as a
programmer's editor.  It is not the application then, that I thought
it would become.

Sorry, for having been a nuisance, then.

    Oliver
--
Oliver Scholz               Jour du Génie de l'Année 212 de la Révolution
Ostendstr. 61               Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!