Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: enriched-mode and switching major modes.
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:32:59 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim Storm wrote:
>
>    The question is: how old are these problems with enriched-mode ?
>
> They were present in 20.7.  In current CVS, the worst of the problems,
> the fact that hard newlines failed to work, has been fixed already by
> making `use-hard-newlines' a permanent local.  The fact that nobody
> apparently complained about this probably means that currently people
> only use Enriched mode to add some color and fontification to their text
> and save it to file.  People who use it this way may actually consider
> lack of hard newlines a _good_ thing.  I believe that the new _minor_
> mode should not enable hard newlines by default.  Of course, the new
> _major_ mode should.

So the second question is:  Do we really need to rework this for 21.4?

I suggest that we keep things as they are now for 21.4 (with your
patches installed), and add an entry to the TODO list for 22.1:

Rework enriched-mode into a major mode, enriched-mode, and a minor
mode, enriched-minor-mode.  [you can add your specific thoughts about
this split here].

Just my 2ยข.