Re: make bootstrap on CVS head fails

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: make bootstrap on CVS head fails
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:26:10 +0100

Kim F. Storm wrote:
Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

Frank-Schmitt wrote:

   If this is necessary before a bootstrap, why doesn't bootstrap depend on
   maintainer-clean?

It used to, but that was changed to make bootstrapping run faster at
the expense of an occasional failure.  (Personally, I believe that
change was a mistake.)

I agree that bootstrap should do maintainer-clean.

I wasn't aware of the change so I was a bit confused by the original report. If you want to compile faster, use "make recompile" to recompile the .elc files followed by a normal "make".

The cases where recompile is not enough and bootstrap is really necessary are probably the same cases of "occasional failure" above.