Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:49:05 +0200

Hi Lennart,

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:
> I did look at it and I am sure that it does a lot of things that can
> be useful for me if it just used the default printer.

In a world that directly uses printer devices, PRN *is* the default
printer.  In the days of DOS, some ingenuity went into making that
happen.

But MS has decided very long ago that they don't care about this mode
of operation any more.  And so connecting PRN to the default printer
is not automatic.

A program can get the information about the default printer from where
Windows stores it and it can use the device that is indicated there.
As I understand it (I haven't tested it) that is what the latest CVS
code does.  Note that these days not all printers actually *have* an
associated device on Windows (e.g. USB and LPR network printers), so
this is still not the most reliable way of doing things.

benny