Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: info inconsistency about "Shell Commands in Dired"
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:31:44 -0500 (CDT)

Masatake YAMATO wrote:

   How about passing file names via environment variables?
   So the user can specify the environment variables to use the file names.

   We use ${dired} for the replacement of `?'; and ${DIRED} for the
   replacement of `*'. Prepend "export dired=...; export DIRED=...;"
   to the command line given from the user.

${dired} is as long to type as `echo ? `.  I am not even sure that
`echo ? ` is really a joke as David suggested.  Having to use
something that is somewhat funny looking is not too bad if you only
have to do it very infrequently.  So, if we actually consider having
to type eight characters acceptable, then no code change would be
necessary.

Sincerely,

Luc.