Re: bug in ffap.el

From: Rajesh Vaidheeswarran
Subject: Re: bug in ffap.el
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:25:35 -0400

Hello Joakim,

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll make sure to check this out and fix it.

rv

Joakim Verona wrote:
Hello,

I think there is a bug in the definition of ffap-string-at-point-mode-alist.

Left and righ parenthesis, ( ) should be allowed for the url case. These should be allowed according to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt section 2.3, unreserved characters.

I tried redefining the variable to this:
(setq ffap-string-at-point-mode-alist
  '(
    ;; The default, used when the `major-mode' is not found.
    ;; Slightly controversial decisions:
    ;; * strip trailing "@" and ":"
    ;; * no commas (good for latex)
    (file "--:$+<>@-Z_a-z~" "<@" "@>;.,!?:")
    ;; An url, or maybe a email/news message-id:
    (url "--:=&address@hidden,%;()" "^A-Za-z0-9" ":;.,!?")
    ;; Find a string that does *not* contain a colon:
    (nocolon "--9$+<>@-Z_a-z~" "<@" "@>;.,!?")
    ;; A machine:
    (machine "-a-zA-Z0-9." "" ".")
    ;; Mathematica paths: allow backquotes
    ))

ffap should now correctly identify this url:

http://test.org/a.dummy(file).xml

According to the rfc the symbols "-" | "_" | "." | "!" | "~" | "*" | "'" | "(" | ")"
should all be allowed, im not shure which ones are included by the
original character class.

(this is my first post here so I apologize if I missed some convention)

Regards,
/Joakim