Re: window-list

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: window-list
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:03:40 -0500 (CDT)

Kim Storm wrote:

   I don't recall any discussion about the need for that change, but
   I guess there was a reason....

To make the function do what both its docstring and the documentation
in the Elisp manual claim it does:

 -- Function: window-list &optional frame minibuf window
     This function returns a list of the windows on FRAME, starting
     with WINDOW.  If FRAME is `nil' or omitted, the selected frame is
     used instead; if WINDOW is `nil' or omitted, the selected window
     is used instead.

So I do not believe that there _has_ been a change in documented
behavior.  The documentation was changed quite a while ago, for
"compatibility with XEmacs".  (Revision 1.322 to window.c on Nov 19,
2000, by Gerd.)  I guess the change must have been discussed back
then.  The new behavior was never correctly implemented, until
Richard's change.

As I already pointed out, unless I am misunderstanding, one can get
the behavior Karl wants, from Elisp, using:

(window-list frame minibuf (frame-first-window frame))

Sincerely,

Luc.