Re: Gnus update

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Gnus update
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:57:23 +0100

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

>> Is there a specific reason to expect
>> that Dave's changes are already in the separate Gnus repository?

There's specific reason to think they aren't (all).  If I remember
correctly, people who know more about Mule than I do rejected some
Mule-related changes, probably from the Emacs 22 branch.  I don't
remember exactly, though.

If this is about installing Gnus 5.10 in Emacs , you should be aware
that significant changes were installed without copyright papers on
file.  I don't have examples, but larsi complained about it on the
Gnus list, and I spotted examples subsequently.  Papers may or may not
have been got since, but that needs to be checked.  (It was a real
pain doing that for Gnus 5.9 and re-writing some bits.  Part of the
trouble is that CVS log entries are often unhelpful.)

Also, the latest 5.10 version is fairly broken for me and isn't
maintained as far as I can tell.  I haven't had time/enthusiasm to
debug the things which bit me as I don't understand a lot of the code
these days.  In fact, I'm not sure I understand actually how to use
the most significant new features like the spam-processing and the PGP
support.  I think the documentation and customization support for it
isn't good enough.  I mention this so you're aware of a possible
maintenance issue.

> Dave has write access to Gnus' CVS and often does commits there.

[I think I lost access, but it's definitely a long time since I
committed anything.]