Conditional partial-width-window line truncation

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Conditional partial-width-window line truncation
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:11:42 -0600 (MDT)

Often, on sufficiently large displays, it is useful to split an Emacs
frame vertically; particularly when reading source files that are
(generally) restrained to 80 columns, it would be a waste of space to do
the more usual horizontal split.  However, this interacts badly with
`truncate-partial-width-windows': in general this variable is a great
convenience, but in the case of 160-column (approximately) frames split
into two standard-width windows it is counterintuitive as the lines that
were wrapped before are now truncated in what is still a "full-width
window" as far as the user is concerned.

Might I suggest a new variable `truncate-maximum-window-width' which would
specify an upper limit on the width of windows which should be
automatically truncated when they are not a full frame wide?  The obvious
default value would be 79, although perhaps as low as 69 would be useful.

I am unfortunately an Emacs Lisp hacker but not an Emacs' C hacker, so
this suggestion is all I can give on the subject.

Thanks,
Davis Herring

PS - If this should wait until we're back on feature-addition mode, should
I re-submit it then, or what?

--
This product is sold by volume, not by mass.  If it seems too dense or too
sparse, it means mass-energy conversion has occurred during shipping.