Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el
Date: 06 Jul 2004 16:39:20 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > Which would definitely count as "getting into releasable state".  So
> > > it appears that I owe you an apology and/or a beverage of your choice.
> >
> > There were some bug fixes in the changes I installed, but the "default to
> > foo -> bar" is definitely a "new feature" rather than a "bug fix".
>
> Well, there was discussion over it over the weekend while I was away.
> Anyway, I don't think I want the query-replace prompt to take up four
> staggered lines in case that my last replacement happened to be a
> multi-line one.  Putting the stuff in some history where it will
> appear on-demand is fine, but cluttering the prompt into 5 lines
> because of some replacement I did hours ago does not feel like a good
> idea to me.  And there is little point in displaying long things I
> can't change, anyhow.  So either we should have a rather short
> "(default to last)", or we should just rely on the user taking the
> history to task.

P.S.: taking a look at the code I noticed that you quote control
characters.  I still don't want large replacements from hours ago
appearing in my prompt.  Prompted defaults are for reasonable
guesses, like the current buffer, function, thing-at-point.  The last
replacement is not a reasonable guess.  If I wanted to continue the
last replacement unchanged, I would have used C-r in between and not
have exited the search.