Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el
Date: 06 Jul 2004 14:50:01 +0200

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> > That's a result of the recent disruptive changes of Stefan that were
> > seemingly checked in without discussion.
>
> The "default Q&R to the same as last Q&R" was discussed thank you.

Actually when I saw stuff like

+             (read-from-minibuffer
+              (if (and lastto lastfrom)
+                  (format "%s (default %s -> %s): " string
+                          (query-replace-descr lastfrom)
+                          (query-replace-descr lastto))
+                (format "%s: " string))

I had dedicated that this was implementing the "use -> for shorthand
entry proposals" which it doesn't.  I was probably led astray by the
total amount of correlated changes that factor out
query-replace-read-args into different routines and similar.

> So please complain more constructively by telling me which part of
> my changes is a disruptive change that was not discussed.  It might
> simply be a bug I introduced, like the barf-if-buffer-read-only
> thingy.

Which would definitely count as "getting into releasable state".  So
it appears that I owe you an apology and/or a beverage of your choice.

I am probably too touchy about this issue because I increasingly get
the feeling that it was my involvement with replace.el that tempts
everybody to tack features onto it.  I hate feeling like pandora.  At
least that was the impression I gathered from the talks, and I only
checked very superficially what had happened in the actual code after
a bug report in the area "replace.el does not work anymore" came
through for which I felt responsible.

Sorry for that.