Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Malformed interactive spec in replace.el
Date: 06 Jul 2004 13:42:34 +0200

> On 06 Jul 2004 12:31:31 +0200
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If I had not already documented all of this in the manual, I'd be
> > sorely tempted to rip everything except the basic \, out again
> > since it would appear that I have been setting a bad example, even
> > though I tried to reach consensus on the list about the immediate
> > desirability of those changes before checking them in.
>
> I don't think you've set a bad or good example.  More like you've
> done what most of us are doing: concentrate on the release, but
> finding a bit of trouble leaving aside our own pet projects or
> improvements.  But that's only how I interpret it, of course.

And it is not how I interpret it, since the changes were proposed and
implemented in the course of a discussion about whether
query-replace-regexp-eval is suitable at all for inclusion into the
manual which needed updating for the release.  My "own pet project"
was simply an attempt to make existing functionality accessible in a
form which would not be an embarrassment and awkwardness to document.
\? was more intrusive, but it was again an attempt of avoiding to
document basically useful, but completely awkward techniques (using
read-string in an evalled replacement expression asks at a completely
unconvenient time, and in an inconvenient manner).

And I tried to get people's opinion about those changes and patches
before installing them.  And cleaned up a number of bugs in the
process as well.  My "pet project" is a releasable state of Emacs.