Re: ECB

From: Jens Lautenbacher
Subject: Re: ECB
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:01:00 +0200

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 04:13, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Note that ECB works with CEDET which provides parsing of source
>     code.  This is a framework that has lots of potential for vastly
>     improving Emacs' support for different programming languages.
>
> Could you tell me more about CEDET?

As far as I know CEDET is the "new" package that encompasses semantic,
speedbar, eieio and oher stuff. Previously these have been separate
packages, of which only speedbar has been included into emacs
distribution (?).

> This could be a big step forward IF there is no horrible snag.

Indeed. CEDET, together with ECB that uses the facilities of CEDET
provides most of what's needed for a IDE. The nice thing about it that
the ECB features automatically work for EVERY language that has a CEDET
parser. Other, language specific stuff is provided by other languages. I
think the most advanced example is Java, where ECB/CEDET provide the
window layout with source code browsing features, and the special Java
relates stuff is provided by JDE. This includes stuff like running a
Java interpreter in the background to automatically query all classes on
the classpath for their accessible methods etc. which allows for
completion not only in the current soure buffer (or a buffer already
parsed by CEDET) but on every callable class even if you only have it
packed in a .jar file.

In other words: ECB/CEDET together with JDE rocks.

        jtl