Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:20:47 -0400

    "GUI-happy" users are mostly surprised of its stickiness: they tend
    to expect that it is just active when you mark regions with a mouse,
    or use a special marking sequence.

    We are getting closer with temporary transient-mark-mode on
    mouse-drag, but I don't think we are "there" yet with regard to
    "expected" behavior.

Can you name some specific "unexpected" behaviors that we
might look for ways to change?

    But the "expected behavior" for such users is that both
    region-beginning and region-end are independent from point, so it's
    a non-trivial change.

That does sound thoroughly incompatible with Emacs.  However, the
programs I've seen don't seem to cancel the selection when you move
point.  That would not be difficult, and is what we now do
after a mouse drag.