Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:58:48 +0200

Saluton,

Thanks a lot for your patch.  I'm sending what I discussed below, and it seems
to work.  Could you please reverify and also write a ChangeLog?

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> skribis:

> address@hidden (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:

> Anyhow, there is a new patch below which puts an `invisible' property
> on matched strings.  I tested it, and I find it acceptable even with
> invisible text since I don't operate too much on the grep buffer.

Without my understanding why, patch barfed at both halves of this, so I had to
apply it manually :-(

> Daniel, you added a new option `grep-error-screen-columns' recently.
> But I don't see where it is used.  Could you tell how do you plan to
> use it?  Currently I set `compilation-error-screen-columns' to nil in
> `grep-regexp-alist', but perhaps I should use `grep-error-screen-columns'?

Ah ha!  Grep inherits from compilation, so all the like-named variables get
passed through.  As for your setting this on every match, I don't see the
point, not even setting this once.  This is an option, which means that people
could set it to match the understanding of whatever external prog they use.

> BTW, as you can see below I also changed handling of `end-mk' in
> `compilation-goto-locus'.  Currently it activates the region around a
> matched string.  This is very inconvenient.  I changed this to put a
> highlighted overlay on a matched string just as it does now for the
> whole line.

This was Stef's idea for users of transient-mark-mode.  It has the advantage
of staying around longer, but your approach is more useful for everyone.  (I
suspect transient-mark-mode is not so popular, at least not with me.)

> diff -u -r1.16 grep.el
> --- lisp/progmodes/grep.el    23 Jun 2004 23:10:33 -0000      1.16
> +++ lisp/progmodes/grep.el    30 Jun 2004 03:27:24 -0000

> +     (4 (list 'face nil 'invisible t 'intangible t))
> +     (5 (list 'face compilation-column-face))
> +     (6 (list 'face nil 'invisible t 'intangible t))

I've simplified these a little and made the face customizable, defaulting to
isearch's.

> diff -u -r1.322 compile.el
> --- lisp/progmodes/compile.el 18 Jun 2004 23:00:46 -0000      1.322
> +++ lisp/progmodes/compile.el 30 Jun 2004 03:35:13 -0000

> +     (overlay-put compilation-highlight-overlay 'face next-error-face))

This variable is undefined.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/