Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Changes to emacs/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:08:51 +0200

Saluton, Moin,

"Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> skribis:

> > And I frequently grep in various corners of various machines, on
> > all of which I'd have to install this, which is already my turn off with
> > GNU grep...  At first sight my little script gives me more bang for the
> > euro.
>
> Doesn't your script need Perl to be installed?  Perl is by far a
> larger package than ID-Utils.

Sure, but Linux distros as well as commercial Unices like Solaris or
Fujitsu-Siemens' Reliant Unix have it installed by default.

> While ID-Utils is a bit larger than
> Grep, it's not much larger; its lightning-fast response to queries and
> programming language awareness more than make up for the need to
> install a fairly small package.

You're whetting my appetite, but we're getting off topic here.  The
interesting question is what to do with M-x grep for highlighting the matched
string:

- Is it better to delete the Escape sequences as Juri suggested and thus
irreversibly change the buffer contents such that it can't be rehighlighted?

- Or do we maintain save-to-file and editability, by making the Escape
sequences invisible (and maybe solving the drawbacks somehow)?

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/