Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: 17 Jun 2004 02:56:37 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > It is not important what question it asks.  It would work even for
> > > two or three different \? in one replacement string.  In rare cases
> > > where the user needs more \?, he can use \,(read-string "My prompt:
> > > ").
> > >
> > > Or to let it to automatically enumerate prompt strings, i.e. to have
> > > a counter in expression generating code in `query-replace-regexp'
> > > that will convert several \? in the same string into prompts in a
> > > fixed format with the prompt counter added to the prompt string:
> > >
> > > (concat (read-string "Enter string 1: ") (read-string "Enter string
> > > 2: "))
> >
> > Yes, I might do something like that.
>
> Maybe "Enter string: " for the first one, "Enter string 2:" etc for the
> following strings.

Ouch, I just realized that the dialog will basically be:

Enter string: xsxa RET
Query replace gfag with fdsfxsxa* (y/n)?

That's so weird that I don't really know if it should be a "feature"
with its own shortcut.  Entering the strings when they might not even
get used...

I'll just post the current untested diff (which might or might not
work) since I'm about to fall asleep.  In case it works, people have
something to play with.