Re: PATCH: Don't mix faces in Buffer-menu header when Buffer-menu-use-he

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: PATCH: Don't mix faces in Buffer-menu header when Buffer-menu-use-header is nil
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:34:56 -0400

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:28:19PM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
> Moreover, I don't understand why displaying text in the header line
> needs special treatment by adding the space and using special fonts?
> Why the header line can't start at the left fringe?  The header line
> is often used as a fixed part of the buffer that doesn't scroll,
> so it makes sense to line it up with the buffer and to use the same
> font in which its buffer is displayed.

I don't the space is necessary -- Kim's recent changes should do that in a
better way -- but I presume the use of the fixed-width font is so that the
single-letter headers for the first three `columns' _exactly_ line up with
the corresponding text.  Those headers are already kind of cryptic, so that
is important for anyone that uses a variable-pitch header face (which is not
uncommon).

The current solution is kind of bad be because the `fixed-pitch' face is
often jarringly different from the default face, but in practice it's
probably good enough for now.

For future releases I intend to add `attribute filtered' face-inheritance
(something which Stefan has also mentioned), which should make it easer to
get a face that just inherits the default face's font/size without screwing
up other attributes.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!