Re: weird region behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: weird region behavior
Date: 14 Jun 2004 22:04:22 +0200

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

> GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195)
>  of 2004-06-14 on WINSTEINGOLDLAP
> --with-msvc (12.00)
>
> The region behavior has recently changed (I seem to recall this being
> discussed before):
>
> When I select a region with my mouse, it becomes yellow (as expected)
> and the content is saved in the kill-ring (again, as expected).
> If I now move the cursor with an arrow key, the yellow region does not
> disappear (as it did before) but is instead extended as I move the
> point (luckily, the content is not copied into the kill-ring), and some
> commands appear to be limited to the yellow region.
> I think this is called "Transient Mark mode", but I did not touch
> `transient-mark-mode', so I should not be getting it, right?
>
> C-g appears to remove each instance of this "active region" (?), but I
> would rather avoid having to hit C-g after each selection operation.

Maybe we need a "more" transient mark mode for mouse-marked regions
that disappears at cursor movements.  I have to admit that this
behavior was a bit surprising to me as well, but I have not yet
decided whether I find it disturbing.

> So, how do I restore the original behavior?

It was just some one-liner in mouse.el IIRC, where
transient-mark-mode is set to lambda.