Re: Bug tracking

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:40:15 +0200

On 11 Jun 2004 13:39:25 +0200
address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> I really don't understand that we manage to get by without using a bug
> tracking system.  We seem to manage, but I'm sure there are many
> issues which are never fully addressed and resolved.

I have the same feeling: we *seem* to manage.

> I use my personal mail archives and TODO list to keep an eye on issue
> that I MIGHT want to look into; actually, I have several mails more
> than a year old that I really don't know (without using time I don't
> have to find out) if the issue is still unresolved.

Same here.  I had for almost a year and half a personal note to try to
find out what caused the incompatibilities between GnuWin32 image
libraries and MSVC optimized builds.

> A major advantage of bug tracking is also to know WHO (if any) is
> responsible for fixing a given bug.

Yes.  That also helps when preparing for a release, because people can
take a look at outstanding bug reports and appoint themselves
responsibles for issues in their area of expertise.

Another thing that I find surprising is not having any kind of
regression testing in place.  User interface issues are hard to test
automatically, but there are many things that *could* be tested (the
elisp interpretor, lots of modules, perhaps even the garbage collector).

> I have very positive experience with bugzilla from other projects, but
> there may be other choices...

If we were to use an bug/issue tracker, would it be being on Savannah a
prerequisite? (Not that I have any other system to propose, just to keep
choices open...)

                                                                Juanma