Re: desktop.el and minor modes

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: desktop.el and minor modes
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:43:29 +0300

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes it does, but you have to load dired-x first somehow. You may
> considered it a bug in the old version of dired-x that
> dired-omit-files-p wasn't declared with :require 'dired-x or had an
> autoload cookie. Anyway, you had to load dired-x before the
> custom-set-variables call, just as with the new version of dired-x. So
> in this respect, nothing is changed.

It works if dired-x is loaded before custom-set-variables, but this
requires modifications of existing .emacs to move loading dired-x
before custom-set-variables.  And since users should modify .emacs anyway,
they rather could replace the obsolete variable `dired-omit-files-p'
with `dired-omit-mode' and `dired-mode-hook'.  `dired-mode-hook' is
defined by `defcustom', so `dired-omit-mode' can be easily added to it
via Customize which results in adding to user's .emacs something like:

(custom-set-variables
 '(dired-mode-hook (quote (dired-omit-mode)))
 ...)

which is good from the point of view of easy customization.

So all what I suggest is to write an appropriate entry in NEWS
with explanations that `dired-omit-files-p' is obsoleted by
`dired-omit-mode' minor mode which can be customized now by
adding `dired-omit-mode' to `dired-mode-hook'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/