Re: Possible UTF-8 CJK Regressions in Terminal Emulators

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Possible UTF-8 CJK Regressions in Terminal Emulators
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:56:37 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I succeeded in loading subst-*.el not at the time of
> customizing utf-translate-cjk-mode to t but only when it is
> found that loading them is necessary on decoding or encoding
> utf-8, or on running decode/encode-char.  This means that we
> can make the default value of utf-translate-cjk-mode to t
> without loading subst-*.el at building time.

It doesn't fix the potential effects on non-CJK users if decoding a
bit of Unicode text containing such a character will load the large
tables even if they're useless to the user.  Maybe there aren't many
people now with 48MB P133s or old SPARCs like me, in which case it's a
reasonable default, but I suggest an entry in NEWS/PROBLEMS about it.

> I think it's a big improvement especially for CJK users,

I agree it should be on for CJK users anyway.  (I thought it was now
conditional on the language environment.)