Re: recompile uses wrong buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: recompile uses wrong buffer
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 04:22:33 +0300

"Stephan Stahl" <address@hidden> writes:
> M-x recompile from cvs emacs only uses *compile*, *grep*, ... buffers.
>
> I often use M-x compile, M-x rename-uniquely, M-x compile, M-x
> rename-uniquely to be able to (re)recompile two things. With cvs emacs
> that does no longer work right. M-x recompile in one of those buffers does
> not recompile in that buffer but creates a new (or reuses) *compile*
> Buffer. For grep it does so with the *grep* buffer. I am not sure what
> other modes are affected too.
>
> This differs from emacs 21.3 behavior and seems wrong too.

I have been using the new behavior for a while, and can confirm that
it is inconvenient.  It would be more natural if calling `compile' or
`grep' reused the same buffer where they were called, because when
called on the compile/grep buffer these commands are perceived as
commands which operate on the current buffer rather than as commands
which create a new buffer.  And users who want to start compilation
in a new buffer, can do it from any buffer not in compilation mode.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/