Re: query-replace-interactive not documented

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: query-replace-interactive not documented
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 23:33:04 +0300

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
> `query-replace-interactive' is not a user option.  It is defined using
> defvar in replace.el.  Its docstring does not start with a `*' either.
> Of course, we can not document every single defvar either.
>
> Should it be a defcustom?  Is it something one would want to set
> permanently to t?  (I would not want to, but might other people want
> to?)

I remember there was a discussion about changing user options defined
by defvar into defcustom.  At least, `query-replace-interactive' looks
like a typical user option.

However, I think it should not be added to the Emacs manual
because there are many other similar undocumented options which
don't fit into the manual.

What should be documented in the Emacs manual is a very useful command
`query-replace-regexp-eval'.  It even deserves its own keybinding.
But if there are no spare keybindings for it, then perhaps it could be
invoked by a prefix arg of `query-replace-regexp' like e.g.  C-u C-M-% ?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/