Re: display word wrapping

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 21:43:45 -0400

    We could introduce a set of different commands that move by display
    lines, and have an option to bind C-n etc. to those new commands.

We could dothis, but this is a drastic change in what a text file is
supposed to be.  We would have to replace all the Emacs facilities
that deal with lines.  And in many programs (such as older versions of
Emacs) the files would be a pain to read.

So I think we should do word-wrapping by inserting newlines at the
right places.  That is the modular way to do it.  Everything else will
still work.