Re: convert-standard-filename's doc

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: convert-standard-filename's doc
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:51:19 +0200

> Hmm... I'm not sure repeating all the original func's docstring is
> necessary. Better IMO something like:
>
>   "Convert a standard file's name to something suitable for the current OS.
>
> The default definition just returns the argument.
> On Windows systems, however, this function
>
>  - replaces invalid characters in FILENAME with !
>  - turns Cygwin-style /cygdrive/x/ pathnames into x:/ paths
>  - converts slashes to backslashes
>
> Conversion of slashes only happens if the current shell expects
> it, as indicated by `w32-shell-dos-semantics'."

How about just documenting all of the behavior on all systems?  The
same logic I used previously (wanting to write portable Lisp code)
tells me that it would be good to learn about the behavior of this
function on systems that I don't use.

Compare file-name-directory: it documents the VMS behavior even on my
GNU/Linux system.

Kai