Re: display word wrapping

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:15:39 +0200

On 27 May 2004 12:41:49 +0200
address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) wrote:

> It certainly sounds messy, and quite tricky to do right for
> making a binary distribution for W32!

Perhaps I've made it sound worse that it is.  I think Jason had it
working fine on his setup (with gcc, IIRC) last time I exchanged e-mail
with him about the issue (though that was more than a year ago).

> Would some W32 experts step forward to look into this?

More "image experts" than "W32 experts", I think.

But anyway, some issues are tricky because... well, just "because".  For
example, the current method of trying several DLL names is a feature, in
the sense that it would allow the user to use other DLLs than the ones
used by the binary-distribution packager.  But, for what I gather from
my limited experience, just switching DLLs is *not* likely to work on
Windows.  That's why I would advocate suppling our own (not necessarily
compiled by us), either on the binary tarball, or as a .zip pointed from
somewhere in http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html.

> Wouldn't it be better to tell what the problems are -- and what
> combinations are known/supposed to [not] work...

I suppose so.  The main problem, it seems, is that not many people out
there (that we know of) has tried the Windows image support, so we still
know little about how much it works, and in how many different setups.
Perhaps I'm the lone exception, but I don't think so.  I've got the same
crashes on every combination of W2K/XP and MSVC 6.0/.NET/.NET 2003, and
that are not uncommon setups.

OTOH, for a 21.4 (or 21.5, did we decide on that?) release point of view,
if it works on GCC builds, that would be enough to make a Windows binary
tarball.  We can always put as much information as we have on nt/INSTALL
for the relatively few people who's going to build their own Emacsen.

                                                                Juanma