Re: display word wrapping

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:59:27 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> I think that might be a mistake: Gnus is a major subsystem and IIRC
> the "new" Gnus has had several important changes and additions.
> Miles, can you think of anything others could do to help speed up the
> process?

Give me some time to get my head around it more, but the big steps
involve going over a (really large) patch file and classifying changes
into categories like trivial-cleanup / obvious-bugfix /
emacs-tree-localization / obvious-regression / don't-know.  The
ChangeLogs sometimes provide a hint, but they aren't nearly complete
enough to be all that much help.

I tried doing some of this categorization already, and it's pretty
straight-forward, especially using diff-mode commands (most changes are
`trivial', so you can just skip over those quickly), but it's pretty
tedious given the enormous size of the diffs (and this is _just_ the
Emacs vs. Gnus 5.8 diffs -- which _should_ be relatively small, as Emacs
current version was forked from Gnus 5.8).

If I can get some volunteers to help do this categorization, it should
parallelize pretty easily I think.

Once I have a set of what seem to be `good' changes, I can hopefully
apply it to the Gnu 5.10 tree -- there will be duplicates where bugfixes
were forward-ported to 5.10, but hopefully automatic duplicate
suppression will remove some of that annoyance (maybe...).

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen