Re: Emacs setup assistants

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Emacs setup assistants
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:18:42 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't see what you are getting at.  Info files are not read by the
> texinfo parser.  Is the question whether you should write your own
> info reader?

The idea is to skip info altogether, and write an texinfo reader.
This way, we could extend the texinfo format with tags needed for
wizards (or saints, or assistants).

For example embedded widgets and Emacs Lisp, like this

@saint AUC TeX setup
@node Multifile documents

When @LaTeX{} documents grow large, they are often split up in
multiple files.  One file is a "master" file, which includes a number
of nested files.  When formatting the document, you need to run
@code{latex} on the master file.  If you enable multifile support, AUC
@TeX{} will automatically run @code{latex} on the master file, even if
you invoke @kbd{C-c C-c} from one of the nested files.  In order to do
this, AUC TeX will prompt you for a name of a master file first time
you edit a file, and insert the name in a comment at the end of the
file.

@widget enable-multifile-documents
(checkbox :format "%v Enable multifile documents." (not TeX-master))
@end widget

@embedded Emacs Lisp
(require 'tex)
(setq saint-on-next-function
     (lambda (customize-save-variable 'TeX-master
              (not (widget-value enable-multifile-parsing))
              "Saint")))
@end embedded

Which would be displayed like this

    AUC TeX setup:  Multifile documents

    When LaTeX documents grow large, they are often split up in multiple
    files.  One file is a "master" file, which includes a number of nested
    files.  When formatting the document, you need to run latex on the
    master file.  If you enable multifile support, AUC TeX will
    automatically run latex on the master file, even if you invoke `C-c
    C-c' from one of the nested files.  In order to do this, AUC TeX will
    prompt you for a name of a master file first time you edit a file, and
    insert the name in a comment at the end of the file.

    [ ] Enable multifile documents.

                          [Cancel]                 [Next]