Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 22:44:43 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   We could do that, but we don't want attempts to auto-revert to cause
   errors.  How about turning off auto-revert mode while inside Tramp?

Tramp can take a long time on slow connections.  It typically takes me
40-45 seconds to visit sequences.texi using Tramp with ssh, when
auto-revert-mode is disabled.  It sometimes takes longer than that,
and sequences.texi is not _that_ long of a file.  With a default-value
for auto-revert-interval of five seconds the delay in reverting might
be confusing to the user.

If we turn off auto-reverting of remote files altogether, there is no
problem.  Then there will be no attempts to auto-revert.

If not, then I believe that we at least need an option to disable
auto-reverting of remote files, say `global-auto-revert-remote-files'.
If we go for the option, then we could also say that auto-reverting of
a remote file would be enabled, even if `global-auto-revert-remote-files'
is nil, if auto-revert-mode (as opposed to global-auto-revert-mode) is
enabled in the buffer (since then the user explicitly asked for it).
This would be consistent with `global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers'.
If Tramp bound an internal variable `tramp-active' or whatever to t,
auto-revert-mode could unconditionally disable auto-reverting of
remote files if that variable is non-nil.

Sincerely,

Luc.