Re: printing most-negative-fixnum fails

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: printing most-negative-fixnum fails
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:03:59 +0300

> A simpler idea: we could make C-j on that make-char expression do it.
> C-j could look at the expression to be evaluated, and if it is a call
> to make-char, it could show the character (in the same way it does
> now).

Even simpler idea: if the value will be printed in three basic
representations (decimal, octal and hex), then to see a real character
the user can type somewhere one of these numbers with a C-q prefix
depending on the value of `read-quoted-char-radix'.

BTW, there is one bug with `read-quoted-char-radix':
typing `C-h v read-quoted-char-radix' displays the *Help* buffer
which says that `read-quoted-char-radix' is defined in `custom'.
Typing RET on a reference signals an error:

"Cannot find definition of `read-quoted-char-radix' in library `custom'"

This is because `read-quoted-char-radix' is defined by
`custom-declare-variable-early' which incorrectly associates
it with `custom.el', even though it is defined in `subr.el'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/