Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tramp with global-auto-revert-mode.
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 17:02:45 -0400

       Because it runs Tramp from a timer.  Timers can be run whenever Emacs is
       waiting, i.e. it can happen when Tramp is waiting for the other end's
       prompt to come up.

    So is this sufficient of a problem to just disable auto-reverting of
    remote files completely?  The problem I am experiencing now is
    definitely bad enough that it should be disabled by default.

I think that calling Tramp from within a timer is in itself a bug.
One way to prevent that is not to auto-revert remote files.  That
might the right thing.  But it is not the only way to avoid this
problem.

The timer could send messages to a subprocess (such as the one
that Tramp uses anyway), and when the answers come back,
the process handler could take appropriate action.

One would probably want a longer interval between rechecking of a
remote file, not just a few seconds.  A minute, or several minutes, is
what I would think of.  And while a recheck is in progress, it should
know this and avoid starting another recheck of the same file.

Just that last change might be enough to prevent this problem.

Of course, we suspect there is a bug at the C level and we
would like to fix that as well.