Re: sisheng input method missing

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: sisheng input method missing
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:16:35 +0200 (CEST)

> It seems that each rule has one of these forms:
>
>   VOWEL TONE-NUMBER  -> PINYIN
>   CONSONANT VOWEL TONE-NUMBER -> PINYIN
>
> Can't we delete rules of the latter form?

Basically yes, but I suggest not to do it.  Reason is that not all
combinations actually do exist.  For example, it is possible in Pīnyīn
to have `xū' and `shū', but you can't have `shīn' while `xīn' is
valid.  Providing complete syllables is an aid to beginners to avoid
incorrect spellings, especially for people who are used to the
Wade-Giles transcription (which does have `shin' but no `xin').

    Werner