Re: auto-revert-mode and tramp file handlers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: auto-revert-mode and tramp file handlers
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:57:17 -0500 (CDT)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   I'm not sure how to change Tramp to make this better: it often happens
   that a connection is closed merely because a timeout has expired.  In
   that case, just silently reopening the connection appears to be the
   right approach.

In the described situation I am off line.  Do you mean Tramp is trying
get me back on line?  If so, there must be something wrong with my
setup, because that definitely never happens.  Anyway, getting on line
takes me on average 30-40 seconds, and often takes more than the
allotted 60 seconds.  So it is definitely _not_ something I would want
to have tried on an automated basis, even if I could correct my setup
to do so.

If tramp is not trying to get me back on line, then

(file-exists-p "/ssh:address@hidden:~/myfile")

takes more than a minute to get the same information that a simple
call to ssh gives me in less than one hundred of a second (see below),
and then throws an error in a case where the function's docstring
suggests a return value of nil.

[bash2.05b.0 ~ 3 6] time ssh raven.dms.auburn.edu
ssh: raven.dms.auburn.edu: Temporary failure in name resolution

real 0m0.009s
user 0m0.010s
sys  0m0.000s

I believe related problems have been discussed previously in:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-09/msg00198.html

Sincerely,

Luc.