Re: printing most-negative-fixnum fails

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: printing most-negative-fixnum fails
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:57:19 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> +            (princ (format " (0%o, 0x%x)" value value)))
>
> Why not use (format "  = #o%o = #x%x" value value), so that it enjoys the
> same property as the current prin1-char thing, i.e. being
> another valid elisp representation of the integer ?

I have no strong opinion on the format, but I tried this format, and
it looks for me pretty odd, because it resembles a mathematical equation
which, even though is true, emphasizes the fact of equality of
different representations which is slightly distracting in this case.
Again, I want to repeat that I have no strong opinion, and if everyone
will like it, I will have no objections.  But it seems to me that the
format of C-x = with parentheses is better.

> BTW, it should also be used for M-:

Yes!  I completely forgot that M-: can print numerical results as well.

And then perhaps it should be printed for C-M-x, too.  Though, I'm not
sure, because `eval-defun' might be called as a function, and to print
a value may be inappropriate here?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/