Re: new *Help* argument highlighting

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: new *Help* argument highlighting
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:28:04 +0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> As I said, I haven't seen a single complaint about the font-size change
>>> in Info-mode in Emacs-21.
>> Perhaps you haven't seen complaints about font sizes in Info-mode,
>> because users who don't like that, has silently changed sizes
>> in their .emacs files :-)
>
> Of course.  I don't expect that everybody liked it.  But if they don't
> whine, they get what they deserve.  When I compare that to the reaction
> w.r.t colors, I conclude that "font-size changes are pretty safe".

I didn't complain about current sizes of Info faces, because I agree that
these are good defaults for font sizes larger than 6x10.

> I've often heard comments about my 6x13 font being pretty small already, so
> I don't expect too many people to use a 6x10 font.  And those people should
> expect to have to fiddle with things to get good results.  So I don't think
> it's a class of users we should worry too much about.

6x10 is the smallest font listed in the default value of `x-fixed-font-alist',
so it's already kind of "supported" by Emacs.  But I don't say that bold
properties should be avoided.  What I wanted to achieve is an ability
to adjust some properties on all faces easily.

> An elisp approach is indeed much safer.  If it's good enough, maybe we
> should try such an approach (we could make it much cleaner than your code
> by hooking directly in face-spec-set or face-spec-choose).

I'd try to add a hook to `face-spec-set', but I see one possible problem:
since `face-spec-set' processes one face at a time, it may be possible
that some faces are already processed before a user hook is added in .emacs,
and so some faces defined earlier may remain unchanged.

My current hook iterates over all faces, so it guarantees that
all faces will be changed according to the rules defined in a hook
when some new face is added later.  Though, nothing prevents from
iterating over all faces even in a hook called from `face-spec-set'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/